Monday, November 12, 2007

1st appointment

Nothing exciting to report! This appointment was just with the nurse, going over my history and her telling me about what testing was available and all that happy stuff. She was super nice and when she was asking me things about Zachary she said she was so sorry she had to ask me all of that and said she felt bad. I told her it was okay, though. She couldn't believe all that I've (we've) been through. She told me she hopes things go well this time. After we were done with the paperwork she went to ask the doctor if he wanted an u/s done at my appointment next Monday. He did, to check my cervix (and the baby, too, I hope!). The only u/s appointment they had available for Monday was at 7am and my appointment wasn't until 10:30. They said they'd talk to the u/s techs and see if they could squeeze me in around my appointment. They called me this afternoon and said they switched my appointment to Tuesday instead. My u/s is at 2:30 and then my appointment. I can't wait! Hopefully all is well. At that appointment we'll discuss my cerclage and probably schedule it. If I get it my 14th week, that's the week of Christmas! One good thing is Doug is off work that whole week, so he'll already be home : ). The holidays go by so fast, that will be here in no time!

After my appointment, I went down for my bloodwork and urinalysis. Hopefully I didn't mess the urine sample up b/c there was a very detailed sheet on exactly how to go about doing it, lol. Then when she did my bloodwork my left arm wasn't cooperating. She was able to get a few vials out, but then had to switch to my right arm, which was gushing. Now both my arms are sore : P. The things we go through for our kids...hehe. J/K...b/w is nothing ; ).

They have a new Down Syndrome test out now that you can get done in your first trimester. One part is bloodwork and the other is an u/s. The bloodwork can be done between 9 weeks and 13 weeks 6 days and the u/s is done between 11 weeks 1 day and 13 weeks 6 days. I'll probably get it done just to get the u/s ; ). I'll be getting a lot of u/s's anyway to check my cervix, but this will probably be the first detailed u/s. I just love u/s's. I'm undecided on the quad screen at this time (which is done in the 2nd trimester). I have to talk to Doug more about it. With the high false negative rate, I'm not sure it's worth it. And I really don't think I would terminate if anything was wrong. I guess I can't say for sure because I've never been there done that, but I don't think I could go through with it.

Okay, that's all I'm going to type for now! I'll post after my appointment next week, possibly before ; ). Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always turn down the triple/quad screen, VERY high false positive rate. A good friend of mine is pg, and she had her triple screen, the down;ds marker came back neg but her mshcg was 3x the normal limt....they say that her chances of Down's goes from 1:1000 to 1:200 now. She is scared. One of my LC's, her DD had the Down;s marker come back pos, had an amnio and got an infection from it, baby was born at 23 weeks and died right after birth. He DID NOT have Down's. SO very very sad. I *hate* that test. Glad everything went well today!!!