Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving thanks

So much has changed in the last year, including the kids!



To be totally honest, last year on Thanksgiving it felt like my whole world was falling apart and I just couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. A week after Thanksgiving, the kids and I moved in to my parents' house. I couldn't believe that our first Christmas as a family of 4 was going to be spent as a fractured family and I wasn't really looking forward to it at all. We did end up pulling it together and celebrating together with the kids as a family and we even ended up moving back in right after the New Year. But really all we did was put a tiny bandaid on a great big gaping wound in our marriage. Things weren't really better, but I tried to convince myself they were. They seemed better for a couple months, but then fell apart again even worse than before. By the end of July I knew it was time to move on and I had to find the strength in myself to do what was best for me AND the kids. I made myself believe for a long time that staying was better for the kids, at least until they were a little older, but it started becoming more apparent that that wasn't the best thing at all.

It has now been almost 3 months since the kids and I moved in to our own place. I'm not saying it has been easy (although it has not been as hard as I thought it would be), but I know in my heart that it was the right decision and that everything WILL be okay in the long run. I am thankful that I found it in me to take that step forward. I am extremely thankful that I have a wonderful family (including in-laws) and friends that have helped me through this somewhat scary transition. I am thankful that the kids have not seemed to suffer any emotional trauma due to the separation of their parents even though there are some bumps to smooth over when it comes to that. I am thankful that we are all healthy, have a roof over our heads, and food in our bellies. I am thankful to have found an amazing guy that I am crazy about. I am so thankful that I am able to sit here today, even with all that has transpired, and see the positives in my life and not dwell on the negatives! I am truly blessed!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You inspire me Jen! Really... don't know if I could do it.