Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sleep is good!

Tuesday night, Brooke decided to stay awake until 2am!! Then was back up at 6:30. I was SOOO flipping tired yesterday. She's usually awake in the evenings from about 6-7:00 on, but Tuesday night she was sleeping and we didn't wake her up until like 8:30 and I think that was the problem. Big mistake! Yesterday I kept her awake as much as possible and I made sure she was awake around 6pm. Of course after she drank her bottle at 6:30, she went back to sleep for about an hour and I tried everything to get her to wake up to no avail. But then she was awake from 7:30 on. I went to bed at 10, right as Doug was getting ready to give her a bottle. The next thing I knew, I woke to her fussing at almost 2:30 to eat. I was so excited she slept! LOL. (Of course, I found out this morning that Doug fell asleep on the couch with her and didn't bring her up until almost 2, but still...she slept!) She drank her bottle and then was back to sleep by 3:15, which is awesome because lately she's been wanting to stay up awhile. And then she was up at 6:30 this morning. I consider that a very good night! : )


I took her to the doctor yesterday because I suspected she has thrush and she does. Her tongue was all coated white and she has spots throughout her mouth. He prescribed Nystatin for her, which she HATES, but it's working already. I do think it's going to give her diarrhea, though, because she just went #2 and it was almost pure liquid : /. Hopefully it won't be bad. At least the thrush isn't affecting her eating! Little piggy was up to 7lb. 3oz. from 6lb. 14.5oz. on Monday! And today when the home health nurse came again, she was 7lb. 4oz.


The doctor calculated what she's gained since she was there on June 9th and it averaged out to an ounce a day, which to my understanding is very good and what they like to see. However, he said "it could be more." He said he'd rather her gain more now rather than later. I know preemies generally have to play catch up, but for being almost 2 weeks past her due date and at just over 7lbs. already, I think that's pretty darn good! He wants to see where she's at in 2 weeks and he said if she doesn't gain enough, we may "have to" add more calories to her formula with cereal or try her back on the Neosure. I don't want to do either of those things if she's gaining like she is now. I have considered trying the cereal for the reflux and may even do that, but I don't want to try to "fatten her up" with the cereal. And she was terribly gassy on the Neosure, so I don't want to go back to that, either. Anyway, hopefully he'll be happy enough with her progress in 2 weeks that he won't push for that.


I would have some pics for you and maybe even a couple videos, but Doug ran a recovery or something on the computer the other day and now when I hook my camera up to the computer, the picture program isn't popping up like it normally does and I don't know what to do! So I'll have to get him to fix it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you giving it in a dropper? nystatin is more effective on thrush when you dip a qtip in it and rub it all on the inside of the mouth, even if that wasn't the directions given. then maybe she won't poop it out like that! :)

Dani said...

I'm glad she's doing so well and I hope she continues to grow well and the doctor decides to just let her go instead of switching around her formula/adding cereal!

Crystal said...

It sounds like she is doing wonderful, I wouldn't worrie about her weight sounds like she is growing great just the way she is. If they push you, you could always ask how to mix the formula she is on to 22cal. I had to mix Aden's formula (soy) to 22cal. because they don't make a 22cal. soy formula. I can't remember how it is done, but your ped should be able to teach you!

Yay on the sleep.