Friday, June 13, 2008

Another doctor visit

I called the ped.'s office yesterday to see if I could get a different reflux med called in for Brooke. They wanted me to bring her in. First off, she's gained 6oz. since Monday! She's crossed the 6lb. mark and is now 6lb. 2oz.!


The ped. was reluctant to try a different medicine because I guess most of them aren't approved for babies, although some doctors do prescribe them. We decided to see if maybe the formula (Neosure) is the problem. He gave me a sample can of Similac Sensitive (lactose free) to try and see if maybe she won't have the spitting up problem. So we'll see how she does with that and then go from there!


On Wednesday, she puked (yes, puked...not just spit up) almost every time I burped her for her 7am, 11am, and 3pm feedings. She also had lots of tiny spit ups in between feedings. Yesterday, she didn't puke at all and didn't spit up too much, but she did have quite a few (5 or 6) episodes where she'll bring it up into the back of her throat and struggle and struggle to get it back down. Her face turns bright red and she arches her back as far as it will go and cries. It's so pitiful and I hate when it happens :*(. I hope this new formula helps! And if it doesn't, I hope she outgrows this soon!


Also, we decided to stop mixing my breast milk with the formula for now to see how she does, thinking maybe she's not tolerating something I was eating that she's getting through it!


I'll let you know how it all goes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the sensitive doesnt work, maybe soy. When Bradyn was in the NICU she would PUKE milk based formula but could tolerate soy based ( she wasnt a preemie though)
She ended up being having a milk allergy that last for 3 yrs.

Alex was sensitive to dairy ( from my diet when I was bf and then milk based formula) but did fine when we switched to soy.

Anonymous said...

Another vote for a dairy/milk problem. Rebecca puked when I ate dairy while nursing her. She eventually outgrew it.

Anonymous said...

I know you have been told many things so I'm adding my two cents...preemies sometimes have a protein allergy. Protein is in your breast-milk, it's in alot of formulas...try alimentium...but don't mix it w/anything else. See if that helps. We noticed results at once. Even got to come off the meds...

Anonymous said...

just wondering how you all are doing?!?!?


Holly