Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Poor Baby :*(

Ryan ended his birthday party last night with 7 staples in his head : (. It was about 7:30 and the party was over. We were getting ready to go home (the party was at my mom and dad's). Ryan was sitting on a family friend's lap playing his Gameboy on one of those plastic patio chairs on the deck. I was coming back from putting something in the car and heard a HUGE crash and then Ryan screaming bloody murder. I went running to the deck and saw Ryan and the friend and the chair in a heap on the deck. The chair had basically shattered underneath them! Doug was grabbing Ryan up and blood was just pouring out of his head. He cracked it off the 2x4 on the deck railing. Someone grabbed a rag quick to hold pressure on it and then Doug looked at it closely and knew he needed to go to the ER. My mom got him an ice pack and off we rushed to the ER. Ryan had already stopped crying by then.


We got to the ER and they did the intake stuff and I got him registered and they took us back to a room. Ryan was sitting on the bed, calm as can be, like nothing even happened. He had some blood on his arm and hand and was all worried about it, so Doug got a wet paper towel and cleaned him up. So then Ryan started saying he was all better, his head didn't hurt, and he was ready to go home. LOL. We kept telling him the doctor had to see him first.


It took the doctor 20 minutes to come in! He was really good with Ryan. He had him lay on his belly, so he could look at it. He said staples would be better than stitches because they go in faster and are much easier to work with on the head because of the hair. I was trying not to look too closely at what the doctor was doing, so I didn't even know he was about to start putting the staples in and BAM! Ryan started SCREAMING and trying to get up. Doug mostly held him down. It was fast, but boy did it suck! Ryan was fine as soon as the doctor was done.


He sat and ate part of a popsicle while we waited for discharge papers. The nurse gave him like 25 stickers...seriously! LOL. He was such a trooper. We went back to my mom and dad's to pick up Brooke and the rest of our stuff afterwards and he was acting like nothing ever happened. The friend whose lap he was sitting on felt so bad and kept apologizing, even though we told him over and over it wasn't his fault and not to worry about it!


Ryan slept fine last night. We woke him every so often because of him hitting his head. This morning he says his head doesn't hurt. He'll be getting a bath here soon to get his hair washed out. Doug will be doing that, lol.


Another bad part of yesterday....about an hour before his party, my uncle called my dad and asked him to go check on my pap because he'd been trying to call for an hour and a half and he wasn't answering and my dad lives much closer than my uncle. That happened awhile back and it turns out my pap just wasn't hearing the phone. Well, my dad went out there yesterday and found that my pap had passed away in his sleep sometime during the night :*(. I feel so bad that my dad had to be the one to find him.


Aside from all that, the party itself went well and everyone seemed to have a lot of fun, especially the birthday boy! Pics coming soon : ).

4 comments:

Marissa said...

{{{Jen & Ryan}}}
the staples sound like no fun at all.

sorry about the loss of your pap. :*(

Sadie said...

(((((Jen & Family)))))
I'm glad Ryan had a fun time at his party, except for the whole staples thing. What a tough guy though - now if he ever shaves his head he'll have a cool scar to show off to the girls. ;)
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your pap, and I imagine it was very hard on your Dad to find him like that. :(

Anonymous said...

Oh poor Ryan! What a trooper though :)

Sorry about your Pap, my Mom and Dad found my Papa under the same circumstances years ago. (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Awww poor Ryan! Happy Birthday big boy! I cant wait to see all the pictures! I am so sorry about your pap as well may he rest in peace.

Love Always

Holly and Dustin