Sunday, May 4, 2008

Update now, pics later...

I'm slacking a little here! And too lazy to get the pics ready to post right now, so I'll probably get to that tomorrow : ).


Friday night my sister and I went down to see Brooke. Her nurse told us we could have a "photo shoot" and she got Brooke out and semi-wrapped her in this purple and white crocheted (I think?) blanket, nothing else, and I held her and my sister snapped some pics. She got some really cute ones : ). Her nurse did notice that her legs and feet were puffy. Her little hospital bracelets were even starting to dig in to them. (She cut those ones off and put new ones on.) I asked her if it was something to be worried about and she said no. Her nurse Saturday morning told me that it could've just been from her getting blood the other day. (They are back to normal now.) I fed Brooke a bottle that evening and she was dropping her oxygen levels alot, especially towards the end. She weighed in at 4lb. 2.2oz. that night!


Yesterday she was needing some air flow/oxygen during feedings, but doing well with them. Last night she weighed 4lb. 3.5oz.!


This morning when I called to see how she was doing, her nurse, Frank, kind of hesitated when he said she was doing okay. Of course, I immediately got a knot in my throat because you just never know what *could* pop up in the NICU. Then he told me that last night she was "sluggish" for her feedings and not really in to drinking her bottles. So they put her feeding tube back in this morning. He told me they took some blood for her to see if maybe she was coming down with an infection, BUT she was acting totally normal and her blood gas (which shows how well she's oxygenating) was "beautiful." My parents and I went in to see her this afternoon and her bloodwork was back and totally normal. :::whew::: (I get REALLY nervous about infections...Ryan had SO many while in the NICU.) So Frank said she was probably just pushed too soon with doing ALL feedings by mouth and she pooped out and needed a break. So for 24 hours (until tomorrow morning) she's going to be fed via her feeding tube to give her a nice break. I didn't think to ask what the plan is for starting her by mouth again, but I'm thinking maybe they'll go back to every other feeding for now. I'll ask in the morning or later tonight when we call to get her weight if I remember. If this is the worst we/she has to deal with while in the NICU, then I consider her/us blessed!


Pics coming soon : ).

No comments: