Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wish us luck!

I didn't think Ryan would ever learn to go on the potty. He never minded being wet or even dirty. YUCK. He never showed ANY signs of readiness that the experts say to look for. By the time he was 4 1/2 (last winter), I decided enough was enough. Yes, he has some delays due to his prematurity, but he is SMART. I figured he just needed a little push. I printed a sticker chart from the internet and we told him he would get a sticker each time he went on the potty and once it was filled in (it had about 20 squares) that we would take him bowling, which he had been dying to do. It worked SO well! At first I let him go naked on the bottom half. It was just easier. I took him to the potty frequently. He didn't really have all that many accidents at all. When we finally did take him bowling, he was still doing great going on the potty, but I put a diaper on him to go to the bowling alley. After we were there a bit, he started dancing around like he had to pee, so I took him in the bathroom and sure enough, he went! And his diaper was dry! He just picked up on it so well. Pooping took a little bit longer and he would go in his underwear about half the time, so a couple weeks after he got the peeing down, we did the sticker chart again for *just poop. And it worked great again : ). We started the beginning of February and by the time Brooke was born at the end of March, he was completely DAY trained : ).

He still wears a diaper to bed, though. (Finally getting to what this post is REALLY about.) I'd say it's about 50/50 on whether he pees in it at night and I know a big factor in it is how much he's had to drink in the evening. There have been quite a few times that we've forgotten to put a diaper on him and it never fails, he's peed EVERY time. LOL. I've finally decided it was time to start trying to night train him. I got him a waterproof cover for his mattress. I just put it on his bed a little while ago. Tonight, NO DIAPER (on purpose this time!). I'll limit him a little on how much he drinks and I'm going to wake him up around 11, before I go to bed and have him go to the bathroom and see what happens. I'm not real sure how this is going to go! But I'll keep you posted : ).

1 comment:

Christine said...

Good luck Jen!! And Ryan!! You can do it, Buddy! =)