Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Check-ups, check-ups...get your check-ups!

Yesterday I took Ryan and Brooke for their 5 year and 6 month check ups. Overall, it was a great appointment : ).


I'll start with Ryan. He's due for boosters between now and next year, but I decided to wait until next year since he started his shots late. He weighed in at a whopping 35lbs. (but at home we never get more than 34lbs.) and measured 41.5in. That was with his shoes on and the nurse did a shoddy job measuring, so not very accurate. Oh well. He's small, but healthy : ). The doctor tried checking his hearing with the little instrument you put in the ear and make beep, but Ryan wasn't cooperating. He was supposed to give me five every time he heard a beep, but instead he would just make this little smirk. So then the doctor told me to just let him know when he made the face, but then Ryan stopped doing that : P. LOL. The doctor wanted Ryan to get a flu shot. He never got one last year because I never got around to taking him : X. (But he never got more than a cold.) I decided he would get one this year, mainly due to being in school and bringing germs home to Brooke. My mom was with me...we told him it would pinch and hurt for a minute and then be okay. He was clueless. They had him sit on my lap and tuck his legs between my legs and cross his arms in front of his chest. At that point, he knew it wasn't going to be good. As the shot started going in, he yelled, "NOOOOOO!" and started crying. He was okay after a minute or so. (On the way home, he was asking to go get another check-up and another shot, lol. What a goofball!)


On to Brooke....The scales must vary a lot between WIC and the pediatrician's office. Last Monday at WIC she weighed 12lbs. 2.5oz., but yesterday at the doctor's she weighed 11lbs. 15oz. I was a little worried at first because that is a big difference considering that is a week ago. BUT the doctor looked back in her chart to the last time she was there, which was 6 weeks ago to get her reflux med increased and she was 9lbs. 12.75oz., so that's a 2lb. gain in 6 weeks and that's great! So no worrying about that. The nurse measured her at 24in. She is *almost on the growth chart for weight and she's in the 5th percentile for length.


Going by the regular shot schedule, she should have gotten 2 shots yesterday with a total of 6 vaccines. One shot contains 5 vaccines (counting DTap as 3) and then she would've gotten Prevnar, too. Oh and rotavirus, but we're skipping that one altogether. To be honest with you, Ryan got all his shots at the time he was supposed to, but I'm more knowledgeable now and I do not like the idea of overloading their tiny bodies with so much crap all at once. I asked him about following Dr. Sears' alternative schedule, which averages out to about 2 shots a month. He tried to talk me out of it a little, mostly saying how it wouldn't be a good idea to bring her in so often during flu season and that it's more traumatizing because they're getting stuck more. But I think the pros outweigh the cons. First of all, she may qualify for synagis (to help prevent RSV) and that is given monthly anyway (Nov.-Apr.), so she'll be going in for that anyway. And he did say we could get her in first appointment of the day to get her in and out. Anyway, Dr. Sears' schedule called for DTaP and rotavirus. Instead we did DTap and Prevnar. Next month she will get her 2nd Hepatitis B and Hib. Overall, he was very nice about the whole vaccine thing, taking time to explain some things to me and not pushing me in to anything.


He gave the go ahead to start her on cereal, but I'm undecided on that. She's not quite at the 6 month level, but she's definitely above a 3 month level. We'll probably wait it out another month or so....no rush : ).


Brooke fell asleep on the way home yesterday. We got home and I unbuckled her and got her coat off and she never woke up.


September 30

I decided not to disturb her, especially with her just getting shots, and she slept there for about a half an hour. Then she woke up fussing. I picked her up and laid her in the corner of the couch to go get her a bottle and here's how I found her when I came back.

September 30

Out like a light again. She slept for another half an hour and then finally woke up and ate. I was worried about her getting fussy last night from her shots, but she was so happy-go-lucky! Ryan never got fussy with shots, so hopefully she won't, either!


Photobucket Image Hosting

No comments: