Monday, April 7, 2008

Another visit

Doug's mom took me down to the NICU last night and I kangarooed with Brooke again : ). Look how long she is!


Photobucket
She looks like she's hanging off my boob! LOL.

While I was holding her last night, the shifts changed. Her new nurse told me after I was done kangarooing that when I'm holding her like that, I can pull my bra down and let her try to suckle/nuzzle at my breast. She said chances are she won't get anything and will just fall asleep, but it will be good for my milk supply. Brooke definitely knows she should be eating because she roots around and looks for food...it's so cute : ). She was doing it a little while I was holding her, but at that time I didn't know I was "allowed" to let her try. After I was done holding her, her nurse weighed her.

Photobucket
(I blacked out her girly parts, lol.)

She gained 14 grams...half an ounce! (The night before she lost 2 grams.) They are now putting a fortifier in my breastmilk to give her more calories. Right now she's at 22 calories per ounce and they're bumping her to 24 calories per ounce tonight (Ryan came home from the NICU on 24 cal formula.) When her nurse gave her her feeding through her tube last night, first she put a little drop in her mouth. I don't think Brooke quite knew what to think of it. I found out last night that Brooke will be allowed to try nipple feeding when she's 32 weeks. I guess they let babies try it then, but they don't push them if they don't want it. Her nurse thinks she'll be one that's interested. Guess we'll see! Here are some pics from after I was done kangarooing....she was WIDE awake again!

Photobucket
I love this shot.

Photobucket
Bright eyed beauty.

Photobucket
She was sucking on her finger while her feeding was going in ; ).

Photobucket

6 comments:

Brandi said...

what a little beautiful miracle. PBS everyday hun!

Anonymous said...

Jen she is so beautiful!!She is definately doing wonderful! I am so happy for you guys!
Rochelle

Crystal said...

She is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Awww Jen she is beautiful. Just be carefullll she has that look in her eye and that "who me?" face and hand gesture down lol I see it already!!! She is too adorable and I am sooo glad she is doing so awesome :) I hope you are doing good, please give us all an update!

Dani said...

She is just beautiful, Jen!!!

Anonymous said...

She is just too adorable :O) and such a blessing Jen. You guys stay in my prayers on a daily basis!

~Susan