Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Wow!

The last I posted about Brooke's feedings, she was getting 18cc's every 2 hours. At that time her nurse told me that she would soon be bumped to every 3 hours. So I think it was Sunday they bumped her to 20cc's every 3 hours. They've been increasing it ever since and she's now at 26cc's every 3 hours and will be going to 28cc's today! She's tolerating her feedings extremely well. Before they give the next feeding, they pull back on her feeding tube to check for leftovers in her tummy so they know if she "ate" it all and she never has anything left! : ) And guess what else! She had her first bottle yesterday! We weren't there for it, though : (...didn't even know she'd be getting one. Oh well. I guess she took about 19cc's and then got the rest (about 5cc's) through her tube. They'll let her try again today. They don't want to push her too much because "nipple feeding" can be very tiring on such a small baby and they don't want her to use up too many calories. But it's good that she's at least getting some practice : ). I'm still fighting this stupid thrush, so I don't know when she'll be able to go to breast : (.


Doug's mom and I went down Sunday afternoon and she finally got to hold her for the first time.


Photobucket

Photobucket
This was after she got done "misbehaving." She dropped her sats and heartrate and then needed some O2 to bring her sats (oxygen levels) back up. The nurse had to take her and really stimulate her to get her going again. So then she was somewhat unwrapped to get her less "comfy". I love this pic : )

Photobucket
Look at her holding on to her pacifier! LOL. She really loves it.

Photobucket
All tucked in. After putting her back to bed, I gave her another bath because not long before we got to the NICU, she had pooped all over the place in her bed, lol. Her little bum has been a little red and they had her on a belly, just laying on a diaper to give her bum so air and I guess she was wiggling around while pooping. LOL. Anyway, she was cold after her bath, so the nurse tucked a warm blanket around her. So cute.

Last night my mom and dad and I went down. My dad finally got to hold her!

Photobucket

Of course, she had an episode while he was holding her and again needed some O2. I just think she gets too comfy when she's all wrapped up snug and being held. The nurse even pulled her hair a little to try to get her to cry and take a deep breath and she wouldn't cry! It's pretty scary seeing your baby turn blue. We saw it happen to Ryan many times when he was on the ventilator, but it's not something you get used to! My dad handed Brooke off to me when he was done holding her and then my mom came back and the little stinker did it again while I had her, but this time she came back up without too much prodding. My mom held her for a little while and she behaved herself.

Check out how well this preemie Carter's outfit fits her lengthwise! No need to cuff the sleeves or ankles!
Photobucket

Before I forget, from Saturday night to Sunday night she went from 3lb. 1.6oz. to 3lb. 1.7oz. Last night she weighed in at 3lb. 3.3oz.! : )

Here are a couple pics I took after she got weighed and was put back in her bed. Of course then she was wide awake!

Photobucket
HUGE hands!

Photobucket
I actually clipped the bow in her hair this time : ). She didn't seem to mind it at all! I only left it in long enough to take the pic.

Next time I go down I'm hoping to finally try one of her preemie cloth diapers on her! Oh, one more thing...Brooke is getting her first eye exam today! Send some extra good thoughts and prayers that everything looks okay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww. I love the bow in her hair. She is too cute!! I hope the eye exam goes well for her.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! I'm so thrilled her weight's so good but she needs to stop "misbehaving!" The sooner she outgrows that and puts on more weight- the sooner she gets to come home.. Just keep reminding her of that--I'm sure she'll listen! Hehe!

The march for babies is this Saturday--pray for good weather. I want to be able to send you Brooke, Ryan, and Zachary's butterflies. If it rains they'll all be ruined.

Hugs!
Georg